Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A little more crazy...

I had a bizarre memory flashback yesterday. It was so weird, in fact, that I had to call my sister in Spain to verify that my crazy brain hadn't just made the whole thing up.

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately, even with the efforts of my medical doctor, anti-anxiety pills, and sleeping pills. Even with all of the drugs and efforts to stay on a schedule and keep to a routine, I'm just not sleeping long enough or well enough. I lay awake for hours, wake up regularly, and wake up for keeps a good two hours before I need to get up, unable to so much as snooze. I often have bouts of insomnia, normally lasting a couple of weeks. This, however, has lasted since mid-September. I haven't slept in almost 2 months. It's been heinous.

So, back to the memory: I remembered that when I was younger and shared a room with Spain Sister, I used to lie on my bed (and by bad, what I mean is mattress on the floor) facing the wall and tap tap tap on the wall until I fell asleep. I would tap out a pattern repeatedly with my fingernail. When our separate twin beds were traded in for a shared queen, I apparently started doing my crazy tapping on the headboard.

I have no idea how to explain any of this, and as I mentioned, I had to call Spain Sister to verify. And since I'm such a crazy and I've had such trouble sleeping, I decided to try it out last night. I took my anti-anxiety, but not my sleeping pill, because I didn't want to taint the results significantly. While I was trying to fall asleep, I tried tapping on the wall, but my bed is facing the wrong way. I was pretty sure that the cathartic effect I was aiming for could be reached through any repetitive white noise, so I tried scratching on my sheets instead. It totally worked. For all of the crazy, I will say, I have not slept so solidly in at least six weeks. I still woke up two hours early, but it's still a good start. But crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment