Monday, November 9, 2009

MORE compy woes!

I got my computer back on Saturday with the assurance that it was working again. If by working, you mean turning on, then yeah, it's working. Unfortunately, it won't do anything besides turning off and on. It won't install any drivers. It won't install any programs. It won't remember that it has a wireless internet receiver. It is still a paperweight.

::sigh::

I called HP (finally) and asked what was going on, and what we could do to fix it. I got some unwelcome, and then some welcome, news. First of all, I purchased an extended warranty last summer. After a year of having Lappy, I wanted to ensure that it would remain in good working order until I graduated from this MA program. I have always had every intention of upgrading once I start a PhD program, and in the meantime, have been dealing with evil PCs and evil Windows. Anyway, I was given the opportunity of purchasing either a 2-year extended or a 3-year extended. Silly me, I thought that it meant 2 years from THAT time, rather than 2 years from the date of purchase. So, my very expensive extended warranty expired in September of this year, and my computer was no longer covered. Had I known that little bit of trickery, I would have purchased the 3-year. Unfortunately, the wording was completely ambiguous, and I am the dumb shit that got screwed over by the HP folks. Shocking.

However, they've apparently been having issues with my model of computer, and so for certain problems, there is a special warranty which extends through the end of November. Yup. Lappy broke a mere 3 weeks before I would have been left royally screwed.

Still, I have to send my computer into HP service and repair, where it will be for about 2 weeks.
::sigh::

It is to be hoped that when my Crappy Lappy returns to me, it will finally be in good working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment